Up to date:
In anticipation of frozen precipitation and doubtlessly icy roadway situations in lots of areas, the Pennsylvania Division of Transportation (PennDOT) is advising motorists to keep away from all pointless journey through the upcoming storm.
PennDOT plans to implement journey restrictions on vans and different autos on sure roadways across the state, which is able to stay in place till situations warrant their removing.
Efficient 7:00 PM this night, automobile restrictions will start Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s weather event vehicle restriction plan on the next roadways:
- Interstate 70 in each instructions from the Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76) to the Maryland state line;
- Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76) between the New Stanton and Breezewood interchanges;
- The whole size of Interstate 83 in each instructions; and
- The whole size of Interstate 99 in each instructions.
Efficient 10:00 PM this night, automobile restrictions will start Tier 1 of the commonwealth’s climate occasion automobile restriction plan on Interstate 80 from Interstate 79 to Interstate 81.
Underneath Tier 1 restrictions, the next autos are not permitted on affected roadways:
- Tractors with out trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or frivolously loaded enclosed trailers, open trailers or tank trailers;
- Tractors towing unloaded or frivolously loaded tandem trailers;
- Enclosed cargo supply vans that meet the definition of a CMV;
- Passenger autos (vehicles, SUV’s, pickup vans, and so on.) towing trailers;
- Leisure autos/motorhomes;
- College buses, business buses and motor coaches not carrying chains or Alternate Traction Units (ATD’s); and
Pace limits can be restricted to 45 mph on these roadways for all autos whereas the automobile restrictions are in place, and business autos not affected by the bans should transfer to the fitting lane, until work zone signage signifies in any other case. Extra velocity restrictions on different interstates might be added relying on altering situations.
Restrictions will likely be communicated by way of variable message boards, the 511PA traveler info web site at www.511pa.com and smartphone apps.
Motorists also can join alerts on www.511pa.com by clicking on “Private Alerts” within the left-hand menu.
Icy situations are anticipated in lots of areas, and PennDOT urges motorists to keep away from journey if doable. But when journey is important, use warning, cut back speeds and pay attention to altering climate situations.
PennDOT has been pre-treating roadways to assist stop ice from forming a bond with the pavement through the early levels of a storm. Nonetheless, salt will not be a silver bullet, and drivers might encounter icy spots on the roadway.
With freezing temperatures, roads that look moist may very well be icy, and further warning is required when approaching bridges and freeway ramps the place ice can type with out warning.
To assist make choices relating to winter journey, motorists are inspired to “Know Earlier than You Go” by checking situations on greater than 40,000 roadway miles, together with color-coded winter situations on 2,900 miles, by visitingwww.511PA.com.
511PA, which is free and out there 24 hours a day, offers visitors delay warnings, climate forecasts, visitors velocity info and entry to greater than 1,000 visitors cameras.
Customers also can see plow truck statuses and journey alerts alongside a selected route utilizing the “Verify My Route” instrument.
511PA can also be out there by means of a smartphone utility for iPhone and Android units, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA web site.
Drivers ought to put together or restock their emergency kits with objects reminiscent of non-perishable meals, water, first-aid provides, heat garments, a blanket, mobile phone charger and a small snow shovel. Motorists ought to tailor their kits to any particular wants that they or their households have reminiscent of child provides, additional treatment and pet provides.
When winter climate happens, drivers ought to additional cautious round working snow-removal gear. When encountering a plow truck, drivers ought to:
- Keep at the least six automobile lengths behind an working plow truck and keep in mind that the primary plow is wider than the truck.
- Be alert since plow vans typically journey way more slowly than different visitors.
- When a plow truck is touring towards you, transfer as far-off from the middle of the street as is safely doable, and keep in mind that snow can obscure the precise snow plow width.
- By no means attempt to cross or get between a number of vans plowing facet by facet in a “plow practice.” The burden of the snow thrown from the plow can shortly trigger smaller autos to lose management, making a hazard for close by autos.
- By no means journey subsequent to a plow truck since there are blind spots the place the operator can’t see, they usually can often be moved sideways when hitting drifts or heavy snowpack.
- Preserve your lights on to assist the operator higher see your automobile. Additionally keep in mind that underneath Pennsylvania state regulation, automobile lights should be on each time a automobile’s wipers are on on account of inclement climate.
Final winter in Pennsylvania, preliminary knowledge reveals that there have been 151 crashes leading to three fatalities and 81 accidents on snowy, slushy or ice-covered roadways the place aggressive driving behaviors reminiscent of dashing or making careless lane modifications had been elements.
For extra info on secure winter journey, an emergency package guidelines and knowledge on PennDOT’s winter operations together with a video, go to www.PennDOT.gov/winter.
Extra winter driving and different freeway security info is obtainable at www.PennDOT.gov/safety.