SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Division of Well being reported 2,150 new confirmed COVID-19 instances and 13 new deaths Saturday in its each day launch of up to date coronavirus statistics.
Six of these new deaths occurred previous to Dec. 26, it mentioned, and have been added after additional investigation. “The Workplace of the Medical Examiner conducts thorough investigations of all potential COVID-related deaths,” the division wrote in an e-mail, “(and) these investigations can take a number of weeks to finish.”
The replace brings Utah to 322,252 complete confirmed instances and 1,485 deaths because the pandemic started. An estimated 56,521 of these instances are at the moment lively.
Over the previous week, the state is averaging 2,315 new confirmed instances per day and a rolling optimistic take a look at fee of 24.7%, which is down from 32.6% a week ago however nonetheless in a variety that signifies a high probability of underreported community spread.
At the moment, 581 Utahns are hospitalized because of COVID-19, together with 231 in intensive care. Saturday’s numbers come as 10,460 extra individuals have been examined for the virus and about 26,000 new assessments have been carried out total, the well being division says.
A complete of 152,509 vaccine doses have now been administered within the state, virtually 10,000 greater than yesterday.
The well being division introduced on Friday that it has detected a new variant of COVID-19 in Utah, one first discovered within the U.Okay. The variant is considered extra transmissible and simpler to unfold than earlier iterations of the virus, however there isn’t a proof that it’s extra lethal. Well being officers at the moment imagine the authorized coronavirus vaccines shall be efficient in opposition to the variant.
On Saturday, Utah well being officers announced on Twitter they’ve deployed a monoclonal antibody “strike workforce” to long-term care amenities experiencing coronavirus outbreaks on the course of Gov. Spencer Cox. “Monoclonal antibodies for COVID-19 could block the virus that causes COVID-19 from attaching to human cells,” they wrote, “making it harder for the virus to breed and trigger hurt.”
Antibodies type naturally within the our bodies of recovered sufferers, offering some immunity in opposition to future an infection; monoclonal antibodies are created in a lab to imitate this impact and have been authorized by federal companies as a COVID-19 preventative and remedy.
The well being division said its strike groups would administer 25 infusions at 5 totally different amenities Saturday.
There isn’t a coronavirus information convention from state leaders scheduled for over the weekend.
The 13 deaths reported Saturday included:
- A Field Elder County man between ages 65 and 84 who was the resident of a long-term care facility
- A Davis County man over age 85 who was hospitalized when he died
- A Garfield County man between ages 65 and 84 who was the resident of a long-term care facility
- A Salt Lake County man between ages 65 and 84 who was hospitalized
- A Salt Lake County girl over age 85 who was the resident of a long-term care facility
- A Sanpete County man between ages 65 and 84 who was hospitalized
- A Uintah County girl over age 85 who was the resident of a long-term care facility
- A Utah County man between ages 65 and 84 who was not hospitalized when he died
- A Utah County man between ages 65 and 84 who was hospitalized
- A Utah County girl older than 85 who was the resident of a long-term care facility
- A Washington County girl between ages 65 and 84 who was the resident of a long-term care facility
- Two Washington County males between ages 65 and 84 who have been residents of a long-term care facility
- Friday: 2,543 more COVID-19 cases, 12 deaths reported Friday in Utah
- Thursday: Utah still working through vaccine rollout hiccups as state sees 2,742 new COVID-19 cases, 11 deaths
- Wednesday: 2,899 more COVID-19 cases, 27 deaths reported Wednesday in Utah
- Tuesday: 2,146 more COVID-19 cases, 26 deaths reported Tuesday in Utah
- Monday: 1,484 more COVID-19 cases, 4 deaths reported Monday in Utah
Check outcomes now embrace knowledge from PCR assessments and antigen assessments. Optimistic COVID-19 take a look at outcomes are reported to the well being division instantly after they’re confirmed, however detrimental take a look at outcomes will not be reported for twenty-four to 72 hours.
The entire variety of instances reported by the Utah Division of Well being every day contains all instances of COVID-19 since Utah’s outbreak started, together with those that are at the moment contaminated, those that have recovered from the illness, and those that have died.
Recovered instances are outlined as anybody who was identified with COVID-19 three or extra weeks in the past and has not died.
Referral hospitals are the 16 Utah hospitals with the aptitude to offer the very best COVID-19 well being care.
Deaths reported by the state sometimes occurred two to seven days previous to when they’re reported, in keeping with the well being division. Some deaths could also be from even additional again, particularly if the individual is from Utah however has died in one other state.
The well being division studies each confirmed and possible COVID-19 case deaths per the case definition outlined by the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists. The loss of life counts are topic to alter as case investigations are accomplished.
For deaths which might be reported as COVID-19 deaths, the individual wouldn’t have died if they didn’t have COVID-19, in keeping with the well being division.
Information included on this story primarily displays the state of Utah as a complete. For extra localized knowledge, go to your native well being district’s web site.
Extra details about Utah’s well being steerage ranges is out there at coronavirus.utah.gov/utah-health-guidance-levels.
Data is from the Utah Division of Well being and coronavirus.utah.gov/case-counts. For extra info on how the Utah Division of Well being compiles and studies COVID-19 knowledge, go to coronavirus.utah.gov/case-counts and scroll all the way down to the “Information Notes” part on the backside of the web page.