“Betrayal is the one fact that sticks.” – Arthur Miller
Jed Hoyer might be grateful for the Chicago Bears group this morning. The alleged resolution by the McCaskeys to retain GM Ryan Pace and head coach Matt Nagy provides the Cubs president of baseball operations a slight reprieve as essentially the most beleaguered sports activities government in Chicago.
The continuing pandemic has given sports activities franchise house owners carte blanche to essentially stick it to followers. Whether or not it’s merely a crutch or not, the nation’s feeble battle in opposition to the unfold of COVID-19 has given franchise house owners a discussion board to decry aggressive spending. The working joke amongst Chicago followers as of late is that it’s troublesome to think about disliking something as a lot because the McCaskey and Ricketts households hate spending cash.
In fact, the pandemic has put up an enormous curtain that hides the truth that house owners and gamers have been already planning for a tough 2020-21 winter. The present collective bargaining settlement has at all times been anticipated to run out with out a new one as a replacement, so the coronavirus has merely made the justifications for the dearth of participant motion slightly extra handy. Pitchers and catchers report in simply over a month, and with little to report in the way in which of an precise plan, particularly with regards to anticipated attendance numbers, franchises have a ready-made excuse for stifling spending.
That stated, there stays a golden alternative for Hoyer to dive in and make lower than cheap – however seemingly acceptable – presents to middle-tier free brokers who would fill his present roster holes. These sorts of gamers embrace Michael Brantley, Tommy La Stella, Jon Lester, Jurickson Profar, and Justin Turner, all of whom wouldn’t solely assist the Cubs win the division, however probably support in an prolonged postseason run.
It’s not going to occur, although, as a result of Ricketts goes to parlay the nation’s well being and financial emergencies as an offset to losses attributable to the 1060 Undertaking and, to a lesser extent, the monetary failure of the group’s first yr on Marquee.
— Sports activities Enterprise Journal (@sbjsbd) December 4, 2019
Youthful readers might not perceive the reference to the 1983 film Buying and selling Locations, but it surely’s virtually just like the McCaskeys and Rickettses are running a social experiment to see which fanbase will crack first. Mortimer and Randolph Duke could be happy with each households. If I needed to make a prediction, it’s that the spoils of that $1 guess will finally discover relaxation within the vault at Clark and Addison. Bears followers appear to be way more forgiving and I supply Ted Phillips’s three-decade run with the storied soccer franchise as exhibit A.
As a former wage-earner within the commodities business, I nonetheless discover it pleasant that the Dukes would attempt to nook the market on one thing as far-fetched as frozen orange juice futures.
“Wanting good, Louis! Feeling good, Billy Ray!”
Not a lot should you’re a Cubs or Bears fan as of late.
Cubs Information & Notes
- I consider Hoyer would wish to eat a major quantity of wage to commerce Craig Kimbrel, however the market for closers is trending upward. Kimbrel is owed $16 million for 2021 plus a buyout of no less than $1 million on a $16 million membership/vesting choice for 2022.
- It was reported yesterday that the Marlins have engaged in trade talks with the Cubs for catcher Willson Contreras, although nothing seems to be imminent.
- One cause Contreras could be thought-about expendable is the rapid development of prospect Miguel Amaya. He gained’t be prepared for the bigs this season, however Hoyer may discover a cheaper choice whereas Amaya will get extra seasoning.
- Extensions for Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo, and Javier Báez appear less and less likely with every passing day.
- A possible Bryant commerce has been reportedly discussed by the Cubs and Blue Jays.
- The Braves are indicating they’d somewhat preserve Austin Riley than trade for Bryant.
- Kyle Schwarber admitted that being non-tendered by the Cubs was a “little bit of a gut punch.”
- Don’t overlook, Yu Darvish expressed similar sentiment after he was traded to the Padres. Alas, there’s no loyalty in baseball.
- Although Hoyer has not been lively in free company, the Cubs are anticipated to make as many as five significant signings within the IFA market, together with the addition of heralded younger shortstop Cristian Hernandez.
- On a scale of 1-5, the Cubs have a tank rating of 4 and appear prone to punt the season.
- Theo Epstein may assist MLB with its “entertainment value” problem.
Odds & Sods
Why purchase a baseball group until you’re in it for the revenue? I feel most of us take no challenge with that truth, however from day one Tom Ricketts has pledged that successful was his household’s solely goal. That will have been barely deceptive, no less than so far as his father is anxious.
The Ricketts Plan pic.twitter.com/JRkTAijFbp
— Drew Silva (@drewsilv) December 30, 2020
The league is planning on a 162-game schedule and will not mandate vaccines for followers as soon as they’re allowed to attend.
Memos distributed to groups Monday reportedly enable for the likelihood that spring-training tickets could be sold in small teams of pods, offering these teams are seated no less than six toes from each other.
The Reds are planning to host fans at Great American Ball Park this season and have set guidelines for seating (subscription required).
It’s attainable the White Sox will be Chicago’s biggest draw for the close to future, and the signing of Liam Hendricks might have cemented that.
In keeping with a report from the New York Publish’s Joe Tacopino, Constantine Scurtis, ex-brother-in-law of Álex Rodríguez, alleges that the retired third baseman was part of a “racketeering and embezzlement” scam in a real-estate deal. Scurtis’s sister, Cynthia, was married to Rodriguez from 2002-2008.
Apropos of Nothing
Keep in mind these Birds-Eye orange juice concentrate cans within the frozen meals part? Perhaps older generations refuse to “comply with the science” due to 1970’s “taste enhancers” and the like. Do you know Turtle Wax used to make a hard shell topping for ice cream?
However will Kluber settle for a minor league deal?
Some have been questioning and sure, the Cubs may have a presence at Corey Kluber’s exercise tomorrow. Kluber has struggled to return to kind after battling accidents the final two years, however the Cubs have as much as three rotation spots to fill and so they’re undoubtedly on the lookout for upside worth.
— Sahadev Sharma (@sahadevsharma) January 13, 2021
You’ll want a paid subscription to access the full story, however Dave Schoenfeld of ESPN speculated on a few commerce proposals involving Contreras and Bryant that really make some sense, no less than as a place to begin in consideration of financials, physicals, and the way entrance places of work worth their prospects.
- A commerce to the Angels that revolves round outfielders Brandon Marsh or Jordyn Adams.
- A cope with the Yankees for Gary Sánchez and prospects. New York would truly lower your expenses in that sort of deal primarily based on arbitration projections, so the prospect return would presumably be significantly better.
- The Phillies might be persuaded to surrender one among Mick Abel or Bryson Stott for Chicago’s backstop.
- Pairing Contreras with Kimbrel in a commerce to the Blue Jays that may save the Cubs important payroll in change for one among Toronto’s post-hype catching prospects, like Reese McGuire or Danny Jansen.
- A cope with the Astros for a few of their younger beginning pitching depth.
Although Schoenfeld didn’t point out any particular names, he indicated the Dodgers, Nationals, Braves, Blue Jays, and Purple Sox might all have various levels of curiosity in pursuing a commerce for the previous MVP and Rookie of the 12 months.
They Stated It
- “At first, it undoubtedly was slightly little bit of a intestine punch. It’s not the way in which that you just wish to finish your tenure with the group, particularly for all of the issues I went by there and all of the historical past that we made. And it was the one factor I knew. I used to be drafted by the group; I got here up and we have been all a bunch of younger children and we made historical past collectively.” – Kyle Schwarber
- “All of us love you however we’re going to go forward and non-tender you. We’d like to have you ever again. We gotta see what occurs down the highway, however we’d like to have you ever again. And if it’s not this yr, we’ll undoubtedly preserve curiosity within the following years down the highway.” – Jed Hoyer, as quoted by Schwarber
- “I take care of these guys over there and I hope that no matter occurs, they go on the market and so they win the division, and hopefully we get to satisfy them within the playoffs in some unspecified time in the future.” – Schwarber
Wednesday Stroll Up Tune
You Give Love a Bad Name by Bon Jovi – When the theme of the offseason bumps up in opposition to fan betrayal, it turns into an increasing number of troublesome to like the Cubs.