- Britain is sending 800 new army personnel to its border with France to assist take a look at 1000’s of stranded truck drivers for coronavirus.
- French President Emmanuel Macron shut down the French border with the UK on Sunday amid Britain’s outbreak of a brand new pressure of coronavirus.
- The border reopened Tuesday, however anybody crossing will need to have a destructive coronavirus take a look at.
- With 1000’s requiring testing, the British Military, French firefighters, and Polish troopers are all helping in efforts to interrupt the logjam.
- Out of virtually 2,400 checks for truck drivers, solely three have come again constructive, UK Transport Secretary Grant Shapps stated on Christmas Eve.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Britain is sending virtually 800 army personnel to its border with France in an try and clear an enormous backlog of truck drivers making an attempt to depart the nation amid the UK’s quickly spreading outbreak of a brand new coronavirus variant.
1000’s of vehicles and their drivers are stranded in Kent after French President Emmanuel Macron on Sunday banned all UK travellers — together with hauliers transporting items — from coming into France.
The ban successfully shut down the English Channel crossing to France, led to a fast construct up of heavy items automobiles in and across the port of Dover, and resulted in lengthy queues of lorries on England’s M20 freeway. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson additionally turned an airfield in Kent into a short lived car parking zone for the 1000’s of vehicles.
After talks with Johnson, Macron eased the ban on Tuesday, opening the border to anybody with a latest destructive COVID-19 take a look at, however with 1000’s of drivers caught and extra arriving every day, testing all of them is a considerable problem.
Because of this, Britain’s transport secretary, Grant Shapps, confirmed that on Christmas Day some 800 personnel from British armed forces might be despatched to help testing efforts. According to the BBC, round 300 personnel had been already in place, which means a complete of 1,100 have now been drafted in to assist.
Secretary Shapps stated he has given “particular directions to the Military to take management of testing and HGV administration operations,” Sky News reports.
“Our intention is to get overseas hauliers house with their households as shortly as we are able to,” he added, in keeping with the BBC. “I do know it has been arduous for a lot of drivers cooped up of their cabs at this treasured time of yr, however I guarantee them that we’re doing our utmost to get them house.”
Members of the French hearth providers, often called Sapeurs Pompiers, are additionally serving to with testing efforts, while the Polish defense minister said that he is sending a team of territorial army soldiers to help out. A lot of the drivers stranded in Kent are from Poland.
Shapps stated on Thursday that 2,367 truck drivers have to date been examined on the border, and solely three have examined constructive for the virus.
The world across the UK’s border crossing has seen fraught scenes this week, and on Wednesday, a handful of HGV drivers clashed with police. Volunteers from the Salvation Military, a charity normally targeted on homelessness and catastrophe aid, were even drafted in to help feed stranded drivers.
The Channel crossing is maybe an important route for the UK and the EU’s buying and selling relationship, accounting for a complete of virtually 138 billion euros ($168 billion) price of commerce, according to a 2018 report from EY.