In case you wanted additional proof that the NFL is a quarterback-driven league, have a look at the highest three of this week’s Arizona Sports activities NFL Energy Rankings.
It’s a comparatively secure guess that the highest three groups — the Kansas Metropolis Chiefs, Buffalo Payments and Inexperienced Bay Packers — boast the three prime finishers for this 12 months’s Most Worthwhile Participant award.
Patrick Mahomes had an “common recreation” for him, finishing 54 p.c of his passes and throwing three touchdowns in a marquee win over the New Orleans Saints. Josh Allen of Buffalo continued his ridiculous third season with 4 complete touchdowns in a Saturday pasting of the Denver Broncos. And Inexperienced Bay’s Aaron Rodgers grew to become the primary quarterback in historical past with 40 or extra landing passes in three separate seasons when he threw a scoring strike in opposition to the Carolina Panthers.
Outdoors the highest three, there are questions.
• What was that turned in by the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday?
• Was Drew Brees wholesome sufficient to face the Chiefs final week?
• Can the Pittsburgh Steelers, who had been undefeated simply 15 days in the past, re-learn easy methods to run the soccer earlier than it’s too late?
• Does anybody actually belief Mitchell Trubisky to steer the Bears’ cost right into a playoff spot?
Arizona Sports activities NFL Energy Rankings Week 16
1. Kansas Metropolis Chiefs (13-1) —
A few of the home windows Patrick Mahomes throws into with success are mind-boggling.
2. Buffalo Payments (11-3) —
Josh Allen has cemented top-three standing within the MVP dialog.
3. Inexperienced Bay Packers (11-3) —
Weirdly quiet recreation for Aaron Rodgers vs. Carolina, however he nonetheless has 40 TD passes and solely 4 picks.
4. Tennessee Titans (10-4) ▲3
Derrick Henry wants solely 321 yards during the last two video games to crack the two,000-yard membership.
5. Indianapolis Colts (10-4) ▲4
Philip Rivers has a 121.0 QB ranking over the Colts’ present three-game successful streak.
6. Seattle Seahawks (10-4) ▲2
The Seahawks’ once-maligned protection has allowed a median of 13.0 factors and 269.5 yards during the last 4 weeks.
7. New Orleans Saints (10-4) ▼3
Brees is again, however is that the very best transfer? Had his third-lowest completion proportion (44.1%) in Sunday’s loss to Kansas Metropolis.
8. Pittsburgh Steelers (11-3) ▼3
They’ve misplaced three in a row, however their operating recreation has been woeful for longer than that. Averaging 58.3 yards on the bottom during the last eight weeks.
9. Cleveland Browns (10-4) ▲1
Baker Mayfield had his fourth straight recreation with a minimum of two landing passes.
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-5) ▲1
Don’t know what that first half in opposition to Atlanta was about, however the Bucs seemed good after halftime.
11. Baltimore Ravens (9-5) ▲1
Lamar Jackson with a 120.6 QB ranking and 4 speeding TDs in three video games since getting back from the COVID record.
12. Miami Dolphins (9-5) ▲1
Win in opposition to New England wasn’t horny, however they’ll take it.
13. Los Angeles Rams (9-5) ▼7
One of the crucial dumbfounding losses within the final quarter century.
14. Arizona Cardinals (8-6) —
Pulled off the uncommon win when being -3 in turnovers.
15. Chicago Bears (7-7) ▲4
Mitchell Trubisky has truly been greater than respectable since getting the beginning job again in Week 12.
16. Las Vegas Raiders (7-7) ▼1
Raiders are 1-4 with losses to Atlanta and the Chargers during the last 5 weeks. Solely win? A 3-point squeaker over the Jets.
17. Washington Soccer Staff (6-8) ▼1
Has anybody discovered why Dwayne Haskins threw the ball 55 occasions within the loss to Seattle? Anybody?
18. New England Patriots (6-8) ▼1
A playoff season with out the Patriots? Say it ain’t so!
19. Minnesota Vikings (6-8) ▼1
Simply if you thought they had been getting their stuff collectively…
20. Dallas Cowboys (5-9) ▲5
Cowboys simply the third staff this 12 months to attain over 40 with below 300 yards after turning the trick on San Francisco.
21. Los Angeles Chargers (5-9) ▲3
Justin Herbert wants one landing go during the last two weeks to interrupt the NFL rookie document.
22. San Francisco 49ers (5-9) ▼2
Managed to go 1-3 in opposition to the horrible NFC East. Only a fully forgettable 12 months for the defending NFC Champs.
23. New York Giants (5-9) ▼2
Scoring 13 factors over two weeks received’t win you (m)any video games.
24. Philadelphia Eagles (4-9-1) ▼2
There’s one brilliant spot. His identify is Jalen Hurts.
25. Denver Broncos (5-9) ▼2
That protection didn’t have enjoyable attempting to cease Josh Allen and the Payments.
26. Carolina Panthers (4-10) —
Panthers are 1-8 over their final 9.
27. Detroit Lions (4-10) —
Simply ran out of issues to say about this staff/franchise.
28. Atlanta Falcons (4-10) —
Hey look everybody, Matt Ryan threw for 4,000 yards once more.
29. Houston Texans (4-10) —
It’s inconceivable to not really feel horrible for Deshaun Watson.
30. Cincinnati Bengals (3-10-1) —
After Monday night time, my solely query about this staff is: had been Giovanni Bernard and Ken Anderson ever teammates? Man, he’s been there a very long time.
31. New York Jets (1-13) ▲1
Good win, Jets. Sorry you probably simply misplaced the very best quarterback prospect within the final decade within the draft.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-13) ▼1
Trevor Lawrence touchdown in Jacksonville will not be good for the league. Sorry.