Robbie Williams nearly died after contracting mercury poisoning from consuming an excessive amount of fish.
The 46-year-old singer has admitted he as soon as went on a eating regimen which noticed him eat seafood together with octopus, squid and tuna each single day, however the eating regimen brought about harmful ranges of mercury to construct up in his bloodstream.
Extra ranges of mercury may cause pores and skin most cancers and result in lung illnesses, and Robbie has joked he nonetheless considers his brush with demise to be a “win”, as he likened the mercury in his system to the coveted Mercury Prize.
He mentioned: “I used to be consuming fish twice a day and I’ve acquired the very best mercury poisoning the physician has ever seen.
“Are you aware what I believed once I heard that? ‘I’ve received!’ That’s how my ego works, ‘I’ve acquired the very best … did you say the very best? Thanks.’ I actually received the mercury award.”
The ‘Really feel’ hitmaker solely determined to have a blood check – which revealed the excessive ranges of mercury – on the recommendation of his spouse Ayda, however is grateful he did, as a result of he might have “dropped lifeless” if he’d continued his harmful eating regimen.
He added: “I acquired my mercury examined as a result of my spouse’s neurotic and he or she will get all types of checks on a regular basis.
“Anyway, thank God, coz I might’ve dropped lifeless of mercury and arsenic poisoning.”
Now, Robbie has turned to a vegan eating regimen to keep away from the risks that different meals can have on the human physique.
He instructed Radio X: “I went plant-based the subsequent day.”
Persons are uncovered to methylmercury when consuming giant quantities of fish and shellfish – specifically tuna, swordfish, king mackerel and marlin – and mercury poisoning kills hundreds of individuals all over the world yearly.