World’s largest RV rental firm reveals efficiency stats from its greatest yr on document, predictions for 2021 journey
AUSTIN, Texas, Dec. 16, 2020 /PRNewswire/ — Outdoorsy, the most-trusted and solely world on-line RV rental and outside journey market, immediately launched its 2020 Journey Pattern report, recapping stats from its document yr. Regardless of experiencing a 90 % cancellation price early within the yr as a result of pandemic, Outdoorsy’s RV bookings surged in 2020, resulting in the corporate’s greatest yr on document, with a greater than 4,500% improve in bookings all through the course of the pandemic. So far, greater than 3.1M rental days have been booked on the platform, from a group of practically 900K house owners and renters.
Outdoorsy’s RV bookings surged in 2020, with a 4,500% improve in bookings all through the course of the pandemic.
With 200,000+ distinctive automobiles accessible to lease in 4,800+ cities throughout 14 nations, Outdoorsy was nicely poised as the popular type of journey for customers, providing a self-contained mode of transport that allowed vacationers to securely hit the highway amidst rising issues round medical security, whereas on the similar time empowering RV house owners to expertise life-changing incomes.
“Roads actually do have a manner of connecting us all — and we have seen these connections, be that with members of the family or the pure world round us, turn into one of many high priorities for folk this yr,” mentioned Outdoorsy’s Co-Founder and CMO Jen Younger. “These connections that occur once you break free from the normal modes of journey — the 4 partitions of a resort, the cramped armrests of a airplane — are why we began Outdoorsy six years in the past. This yr has been a wild, rewarding trip of resilience, and our crew eagerly anticipates the unprecedented progress our group and these connections are certain to see within the yr forward.”
2020, a yr deemed by many because the yr of the RV, marked Outdoorsy’s greatest yr on document for bookings, income and new proprietor and renter signal ups. Past it being a powerful efficiency yr for the corporate, 2020 was additionally full of milestones and key initiatives for the corporate together with the addition of an Android renter app to its suite of iOS and Android apps for house owners and renters. Outdoorsy additionally kicked off a Healthcare Heroes give again program, via which the corporate acquired 1,500+ nominations and awarded 140+ free RV holidays to healthcare employees on the entrance strains of the pandemic.
Outdoorsy additionally was the star attraction for celebrities trying to journey this yr, with large names safely hitting the highway in RVs in 2020, together with: Zoey Deutch, who traveled up the Pacific Coast in a trendy campervan; Famed chef Curtis Stone and his household who celebrated Thanksgiving with a socially distanced RV trip; Lily Collins who acquired engaged whereas on her Outdoorsy campervan trip to the desert; Molly Sims who used Outdoorsy to arrange a Halloween celebration at her dwelling; Rosario Dawson and her quaranteam who traveled to Big Bear for a weekend away; and Rachel Brosnahan, Bella Thorne, Madelaine Pretsch, Camila Mendes, Sophia Boutella, LaLa Anthony, Ashley Greene, Colleen Ballinger, Lance Bass, Brandi Cyrus and Kelly Osbourne, amongst others.
With the discharge of its second annual journey traits report, Outdoorsy is showcasing main proprietor, renter and normal journey business takeaways from the corporate’s landmark yr and predictions for the 2021 rental season.
2020 Outdoorsy Journey Traits
- A brand new viewers is getting outside. Practically 90% of Outdoorsy renters in 2020 had been first timers.
- Spending extra time on the highway. The typical journey size on Outdoorsy was 6.4 days, up from 6.0 days in 2019.
- Summer season reigns supreme. July remained the most well-liked month for journeys this yr, adopted by August and September.
- Western and southern states win out. California, Colorado and Texas had been the most well-liked states for leases, with Utah and Arizona following shut behind.
- Towable trailers stay widespread. Towable trailers, probably the most value efficient automobile varieties on the platform, had been the most well-liked automobile rented from Outdoorsy in 2020, accounting for 46% of bookings. Class C RVs, that are a smaller driveable automobile that’s nice for households, had been the subsequent widespread, accounting for twenty-four% of bookings.
- Extra individuals hit the highway for Memorial Day. Memorial Day was the most well-liked vacation for RV leases this yr, beating out the 4th of July, which was the most well-liked vacation for RV journey in 2019.
- RV leases elevated in worth to match their rising recognition, however stay an inexpensive trip possibility. The general common nightly price of an Outdoorsy rental in 2020 was $161, up from the $153 common in 2019, which straight correlates with the rising recognition of RV rental holidays.
- RV leases are the final word aspect hustle. The best grossing proprietor with a single automobile made practically $42K this yr – greater than thrice the common $13,000 a yr that Individuals made on their aspect hustles in 2019 (Bankrate).
- Energy customers can convey within the large bucks. The best grossing proprietor itemizing on the platform made practically $142M this yr.
Hottest US metro areas for leases in 2020
- San Diego, California (Practically double the bookings in 2020 versus 2019)
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Phoenix, Arizona
- Denver, Colorado
- Austin, Texas
- Portland, Oregon
- Los Angeles, California
- Salt Lake Metropolis, Utah
- Mesa, Arizona
- Seattle, Washington
2021 RV rental predictions
- RV and campervan leases posed to turn into America’s subsequent aspect hustle sweetheart. As a consequence of a rise in RV gross sales and possession, coupled with monetary constraints and financial circumstances, Individuals will look to renting their automobiles as a gentle supply of secondary earnings. Outdoorsy house owners could make as much as $36,000 on common per yr for every RV listed on the platform.
- Vanlife is the final word uniter — and it sees no age. Life on the highway is simply as widespread with the millennial technology as it’s with the child boomer technology. In 2020, Outdoorsy noticed over 100% YoY bookings progress throughout all generations. Everyone seems to be drawn to the approachability and low studying curve of the vanlife life-style.
- Extra persons are stepping outdoors of their consolation zone. Which implies they’re getting out of the home and stepping outdoors. This yr 90% of Outdoorsy renters had been first-timers and the corporate expects this pattern to proceed. This new wave of vacationers taking an curiosity within the outside will form the way forward for Outdoorsy — and prioritize the safety of and entry to the outside — for years to come back. This new client mindset prioritizes belief, security, cleanliness, and affordability.
- Working-from-the-road RV use will surge. There shall be extra engaged on the highway and RV use than ever earlier than. That is definitely plausible, contemplating that work could be discovered wherever you open your laptop computer. Entry to WiFi shall be essential for vacationers as they take their jobs anyplace there’s an web connection. In Outdoorsy’s current Renter Sentiment Survey, 75% of vacationers mentioned they really feel the liberty of digital work and studying make them extra prone to take a highway journey at “off peak” instances.
- Campgrounds shall be booked earlier. As a consequence of total new demand for outside leisure journey and actions, Outdoorsy predicts nationwide park campgrounds shall be booked earlier in 2021. These prime spots usually e-book out as much as 6 months prematurely for nationwide park campsites (round March and April), however the firm is predicting the reserving curve to maneuver as much as February this yr.
- Guests to our state and nationwide parks will skyrocket. With worldwide journey nonetheless principally off-limits, state and nationwide parks will see extra guests and campers than ever earlier than. It is going to be the outside journey business’s shared duty to assist shield these nationwide treasures for years to come back and assist educate and promote sustainable journey and depart no hint practices.
Outdoorsy is the most important and most trusted RV rental and outside experiences market on the planet. Based in 2015, we’ve got places of work worldwide within the U.S., Canada, Australia, and the UK. Our mission is to mobilize the 56+ million idle RVs world wide to make sure everybody has the entry, alternative, and alternative to securely take pleasure in outside experiences and empower RV house owners to appreciate life-changing monetary advantages. With greater than 3 million rental days booked and greater than 200,000 distinctive automobiles accessible to lease in 4,800+ cities throughout 14 nations, we’re right here to be able to benefit from your time outdoors. Join with us at www.outdoorsy.com or come alongside for the trip on our Never Idle Journal. Observe us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.