People who went to the polls on Election Day did not really choose the President immediately.
They have been technically voting for 538 electors who, based on the system laid out by the Structure, meet of their respective states and vote for president and vp as soon as the favored vote totals are fully counted and authorized. The electors are set to fulfill Monday to forged their votes for US president.
These electors are collectively known as the Electoral College, and their votes are then forwarded to the president of the Senate, who counts them in a joint session of Congress after the brand new 12 months.
This is a take a look at some key dates from now till Inauguration Day:
- Electoral votes forged: In regulation, this date is the primary Monday after the second Wednesday in December. This 12 months it falls on Dec. 14. Six days after disputes are speculated to be settled, electors are supposed to fulfill of their respective states and forged votes for US president. They certify six units of votes and ship them to Washington. Many states have legal guidelines requiring their electors to help the winner of their state’s election and may levy fines towards faithless electors who go their very own manner.
- Electoral votes should arrive in Washington: The licensed electoral votes have 9 days to get from their states to Capitol Hill.
- New Congress is sworn in: Members of the Home and new members of the Senate take the oath of workplace at midday. That is the official begin of the 117th Congress.
- Electoral votes counted: Members of the Home and the Senate all meet within the Home chamber. The president of the Senate (that’s Vice President Mike Pence) presides over the session and the Electoral votes are learn and counted in alphabetical order by two appointees every from the Home and Senate. They then give their tallies to Pence, who pronounces the outcomes and listens for objections. If there are objections or if there are, someway, a number of slates of electors put ahead by a state, the Home and Senate think about them individually to resolve how one can rely these votes.There are 538 electoral votes — one for every congressman and senator plus three for Washington, DC. If no candidate will get 270, the 435 members of the Home resolve the election. Every state will get a vote. The Home has till midday on Jan. 20 to choose the President. If they can not, it could be the vp or the following individual eligible within the line of presidential succession.
- Inauguration Day: A brand new president takes the oath of workplace at midday. In a disputed election, if the Home has not chosen a President however the Senate has chosen a vp, the vice president-elect turns into performing president till the Home makes a selection. And if there is not any president-elect and no vice president-elect, the Home appoints a president till one is chosen.